Here are some tips for writing your own guide to listening to include on your podcast site:
Open with a paragraph describing your publishing schedule and explain how someone can listen to a podcast.
- On the web, on your website with an embed player, or with a podcatcher (and explain what this is – a regular podcast listener may know, a brand-new one might not know how they work yet).
Next, tip your hat to people who already listen to podcasts.
- Encourage them to do a solid for your show–and for podcasts broadly–by helping someone else listen by passing along this guide.
Now it’s time to address your new listeners!
- Be welcoming, as this helpful guide can serve as a gateway to all podcasts, starting with yours. Include step-by-step instructions on how to use provided links to get from this website to a podcatcher to listening to an episode on their phone.
- Include a suggested episode that serves as the best starting point for a new listener.
- Remember that podcast listeners use both Apple and Android phones, so provide instructions that address both these audiences (and that RadioPublic links work for both, so the instructions will be the same).
- Keep words like “subscribe” to a minimum. Connotations of this word for new listeners mean that there can be confusion about how much podcasts cost. Suggest that “following” a show means that they’ll receive new episodes when you publish them, and note why following is beneficial for both you and them.
Close with some shoutouts to other podcasts someone can listen next once they’ve enjoyed your show.
- This is a good way to give props to the shows aligned with yours (those that inspire you, or the shows made by your podcasting pals, or others in your collective/network) and direct new and long-time listeners into other listening.
Two podcasts with good listening guides include 70 Million, with a whole section on how to listen on their website since they know their listeners are likely new to podcasts, and Hillary Rea from Rashomon Podcast, with a how to listen guide that exemplifies her voice and conversational style of the show, as well as linking directly from her podcast’s homepage.